Hazel Ball, owner of Velvet Brown the home accessories website, has been working with Command products from 3M, to fashion some crafting and decorating ideas for the Queenâ€™s Diamond Jubilee.
Hazelâ€™s top tips are offered below:
Make some colourful pompoms
- 1. A really fun and simple way to decorate a site with a Jubilee red white and blue colour scheme, is to make some pretty ribbon pompoms.
- 2. Each pompom is made up of four large bows tied together.
- 3.To create the bows, hold the ribbon between your finger and thumb â€“ a few inches from the end and make your first loop. Carry on creating opposite loops, like a figure of eight, pinching the middle between your finger and thumb, until you have 16 loops.
- 4.To finish your bow off, take another piece of ribbon and tie tightly around the middle of the loops (or figures of eight) where you have been pinching together.
- 5.When you have made your four bows, attach them together to make your pompom, by taking another piece of ribbon and tying them together around their middles.
- 6.If you donâ€™t want to make your pompoms, you can by some â€œpull bowsâ€ from your local florist. By pulling the ribbon, you can make the bows ruche up and then tie four together to create your pompom.
- 7.You can even make multi-coloured pompoms by mixing up the colours of the individual bows for each pompom.
- 8.For a clever effect use invisible thread to hang your pompoms, so that they look as though they are suspended in mid-air. Invisible thread is available from good craft shops.
- 9.To hang your pompoms from the ceiling try using the small wire hooks from the Command range from 3M â€“ these are perfect for damage-free hanging.
Jubilee bunting and wreaths.
Why not use Union Jack bunting to create a real party atmosphere? This looks great if punctuated with larger decorations, such as a colourful wreath, to emphasise the swagged effect of the bunting. Try using a Command Large Designer Hook for these larger items.
If you are planning a Jubilee garden party, you could use some of the above decorations outdoors; the bunting would look lovely around your windows.
If you are worried about damaging the paintwork, then use Command Decorating Clips with All Season Strips as they are water resistant.
The beauty of using Command products is that you can remove them afterwards without damaging paintwork, which is ideal if you are holding your party in a venue such as a village hall.
Hazel has also filmed a video showing how to create the look; also available on YouTube http://youtu.be/mu6AbUtVxCw
For more information about Command Products, please visit the website.