A small meter reader that can be easily installed on existing electronic or mechanical meters, in order to monitor electricity consumption in private homes, has been developed by NorthQ, in association with Dong Energy.
The meter reading solution is based on the Z-Wave wireless standard, which is ideal for controlling automated products within the home.
The NorthQ Meter Reader is compatible for use with electronic or mechanical meters in the UK:
- The product consists of 3 parts: a meter reader, a battery-powered wireless transmitter and a USB receiver.
- Electricity usage data is transferred to a chosen PC every 15 minutes, where it can then be seen in the form of graphs, thus enabling customers to keep track of their electricity consumption (in kWh and EUR), and monitor their CO2 emissions, etc.
- It is also possible to receive real-time measurements, in order to investigate how much each individual appliance uses in active or standby mode.
- Furthermore, you can input a power budget, for the amount you want to spend in EUR per year.
- Then a widget on the screen continuously monitors and updates electricity consumption data, to indicate whether you are under or over budget. This also enables you to compare your electricity consumption in the current year with that in previous years.It is also possible to compare the consumption in your home with that in other types of dwelling, e.g. apartments, houses, villas, etc.
- The meter reading solution can also be used in conjunction with the Google PowerMeter, to get an overview of your total energy consumption, so that you can manage your home in a more energy efficient way.
Apart from the obvious personal financial benefits, this solution enables you to play a part in the global effort to improve our environment through the reduction of CO2 emissions.
Software compatibility: XP/VISTA/WINDOWS7/MAC.
For further information about the NorthQ Power Reader, please visit the website.
The NorthQ Power Reader will soon be available for purchase online at: http://www.scan.co.uk/