Here are some additional home lighting tips from Sally Storey, Design Director of John Cullen Lighting:
- A fireplace can resemble a gloomy large black hole in the summer without a cheerful fire to light it, but all you need to bring it back to life is two plug-in highlights that can also create an immediate uplifting impact all year round. (Square Highlight, Â£93 from John Cullen).
- Fireplaces with architectural features look particularly good when up lit, so consider using a 5 amp circuit, so that the lights can be switched on by the door.
- Also recommended is to add two small 1w LED up lights in the hearth. (Lucca, Â£97 from John Cullen).
- If up lights arenâ€™t recessed into the hearth, make sure they blend in as much as possible with the fireplace.
- Up lighting a fire surround works particularly well when you have a painting hanging above it that is lit with a down light, which helps to balance the overall effect.
John Cullen Lighting, founded in 1981, is Britainâ€™s leading lighting specialist and offers a complete service for all aspects of interior and exterior lighting.
Sally Storey took over as Design Director from John Cullen in 1986. She is one of the worldâ€™s leading lighting experts having written three books on the subject. She has since been joined by fellow Design Director Lucy Martin and is supported by a team of ten designers.
All John Cullen light fitting designs are manufactured in Britain.
John Cullen Showroom Address: 561-563 Kings Road, Fulham, SW6 2EB.
To view the truly inspirational John Cullen lighting designs, please visit the website.
Stockist Enquiries: (020) 7371 9000